Your resume is what represents you to companies and people who have not yet met you when you are a job seeker. Therefore, it is important that your CV is alluring, and gives a good impression of who you are as a person – both privately and professionally.
One of the ways you can make your resume personal and truthful is by putting a picture on it. However, there are some things that you need to consider before placing your best and most professional image at the top of your entry ticket to the job market.
Benefits of image on his CV
As with everything, there are both pros and cons to a photo on your resume. The benefits of placing an image on your resume are that it helps build your personal brand. Especially when you are looking for a job in the creative department, it is an advantage to attach an image.
That said, do not be afraid to place a photo on your resume if you are looking for a job in another industry. Most companies see this as a positive thing, that they can impose it on the person who sent them the application and wants to be part of their team.
It has also been proven that images help to build trust in a brand, which also applies to the personal brand. Therefore, it is important that you use good-looking images and let it go again on all your online profiles such as LinkedIn.
Another benefit of adding a photo to your resume is that in many European countries it is the norm in many European countries to attach a photo to your resume. You therefore meet an expectation with the employer if you add a photo to your resume. However, you should be aware that this is not the norm in all countries.
As a third benefit, it is common knowledge that people are drawn to images. This can be proven, among other things, by taking a look at social media, where it is especially images that generate likes, comments and general engagement.
Therefore, if you attach an image, there is a greater chance that your application will be noticed and you will be called for an interview.
Disadvantages of image on his CV
The disadvantages of adding an image to your resume include that you may be considered unprofessional. This can happen if you have an unprofessional image.
It rarely looks good for an employer if you have attached a picture in a bikini from your recent summer vacation, or if you have cropped a picture from the family party.
That being said, it’s not a call for you to go out and spend thousands of dollars on a photographer to get a professional photo taken. This is one of several solutions, but you can also just get another person to take a picture of you standing up against a white wall.
You may also be at risk of indirect discrimination. In Denmark, it is illegal to employ on the basis of age, gender, ethnicity, etc. Despite this, it is almost inevitable that this kind of discrimination will happen anyway.
In fact, it happens on a daily basis that people are chosen from solely because of their image. If you are looking for a place where you fear being discriminated against, it may therefore be a good idea to omit a picture.
However, you should be aware that today it is easy and quick to find out what a person looks like just by doing a quick Google search. So also make sure to do a search on yourself so you know what comes up in him or her hiring.
Tips for your resume photo
If you choose to put a picture on your CV, there are some tips that are good to take with you on the road:
- Make sure the image is as professional as possible. You do not have to spend a thousand kroner on a photographer in a photo studio. Have a passport photo taken at your local photo shop, or ask a friend or the like for help taking a neutral photo up a white wall.
- Be dressed for the position you are applying for. Dressing means a lot to how you look in a picture and how people who have not met you before will perceive you. Therefore, it is a good idea to put on some suitable clothing for the position you are applying for. Be careful to wear clothes that are too lowered, and do not wear sunglasses or a hat. You need to look as professional as possible. With that in mind, no one is saying you should wear a suit or blazer.
- The picture must be up to date. It is important that you like the image you are using and that it is taken within the last year. It is not possible to use a picture of yourself in your 20s if you are 35 years old today. The same goes for hairstyles. Do not use a picture of yourself as fair-haired if you have a completely different hairstyle today. Those who call you for an interview should be able to trust that your image represents you.
- Smile – it’s contagious. You do not have to put the biggest smile on, but just a small smile can help an employer perceive you as a more friendly and welcoming person.
- Place it first on the page. The image must help to capture the attention, and therefore it must be placed as one of the top.
Keep these tips in mind when considering putting a picture on your resume, and then there is nothing to say but good luck.